Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bourbon And Pepper Pork Tenderloin






The tenderloin is the most delicate and tender cut of pork. Unlike ribs and butts that are cooked to high temperature to reach tenderness the tenderloin can be cooked to temperatures similar to fine cuts of beef and be safe,tender and most importantly moist. While the USDA guidelines call for pork to be cooked to 145 degrees internal we still prefer to cook to 150 and while resting it will reach 155 degrees internal. The pork tenderloin is the pork equivalent of beef tenderloin which is the orgin of fillet mignon. These tenderloins are approximately 1.5 lbs each. We will marinade them for 24 hours and they will go on the grill whole and be sliced after resting.




This will be a full bodied marinade robust with flavors. Soy Sauce, Bourbon, Worcestershire, Olive Oil, Garlic, Brown Sugar, Cracked Black Pepper, White Pepper, Ground Ginger and Salt.


The pork tenderloins going for a 24 hour swim.



Saturday started out as an absolute beautiful day. As usual I'm really looking forward to working in the yard and spending some time in the kitchen and on the deck cooking. Working in the yard and cooking out go hand in hand for me. I always enjoy the smell of the fresh cut grass and looking out over  the days work while cooking.  Unfortunately the day went south shortly after finishing in the yard. There were several short, heavy downpours and the temperature leveled off in the mid 60's before allowing a good window to cook.

While the grill was pre heating we prepared Garlic Herbed Potatoes. Peggy cut wedges of red new potatoes, yukon gold potatoes and chopped fresh thyme, rosemary and marjoram. I tossed the potatoes in olive oil with minced garlic, salt, cracked black pepper and the herbs.

It is human nature for people to find something that  is a luxury, yet they feel that due to circumstances they can always justify it as a need. People that love cars will usually end up with a fast car or a vintage car. An outdoors man will have an abundance of guns, bows, rods and reels and fast boats. Some women go overboard on shoes and handbags. I have expensive smokers, grills, professional cookware, and the best German steel knives. These are some of my favorite things and my children will use them long after I'm gone. The crockery bowl below is not some new high tech cookware. It is a bowl my wife has had for 43 years and her grandmother mixed and tossed things in it long before I  was born. It is just another way that cooking connects generations of our families through recipes, techniques and handed down cookware. Cooking is a time of relaxation for me and I often find myself reflecting back to some of my earliest memories of my mom and dad in the kitchen and the great smells that are still so vivid 50 years later.

 




The grill has reached 400 degrees and the tenderloins are going on the grill. The potatoes will go in the oven at 400 degrees on convection and the timing should be in sync. The grill is burning lump charcoal and I will cook in two different zones. Direct over the fire to brown it up and get the outer texture I desire and then indirect to reach the desired internal temperature. These tenderloins weigh approximately 1.5 lbs. each and probably will need around 30 minutes of cook time.



While the tenderloins are cooking we opened a nice Chardonnay and took a moment to toast our daughter who is in town for the weekend. I love a good glass of wine while in the kitchen or hovering over the grill. Meanwhile Peggy is back in the kitchen chopping away. Spring and summer were made for beautiful fresh salads. Nothing decorates a plate during the spring or summer like a salad loaded with all of the bright colors and flavors available.


The tenderloins have reached 150 degrees internal and I will tent them in foil and let them rest for 10 minutes or so and the internal temperature will rise to approximately 155.




The tenderloin has rested, the potatoes are out of the oven and we are ready to sit down and break bread.





Served with a Pinot Noir.



It was an excellent meal enhance by the opportunity to share it with our daughter. The tenderloin was tender, moist and heavy on flavor. The marinade had a similar flavor to a teriyaki and if I knew then what I know now I would reduce the marinating time from 24 hours to 8 to 10 hours on the smaller cut of tenderloin. That being said,  I didn't send the plate back to the kitchen! Once again it was a great Saturday of doing my favorite things. Until I see you again I hope you all allow yourself a luxury that you can justify as a need.


Double click images for full size images.






1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and read the latest two posts. Loved them. Really like the story about the crockery bowl. Too true. And the marinade for the tenderloins sounds great. Gonna give it a try next time I do one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete